FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Note: Offensive, abusive and racist contributions will be deleted.
Read the terms and conditions of membership. | Email Forum Moderators

Coal pit hills

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AlisonMary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlisonMary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coal pit hills
    Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:44pm
I lived in Oldham during the 50s and attended Werneth County Primary. Nearby was a feature known as the coal pit hills, bounded on one side by Chamber Road. I think that it was probably an unsightly sl*g heap, but to children it was a wonderful and exciting place to play. Needless to say, we were strictly forbidden by the school to play there, a rule that was enthusiastically ignored. Does anyone else remember hiding up in the hills and running down the slopes? What were the big flat stones on top and when did the pit close?

Also, does anyone remember the air raid shelters in the boys' playground?

Would love to hear from anyone else who can give me more information or share their memories.
Breakfast Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakfast Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:30am
It wasn't an unsightly slág heap when I played there in the 60's & 70's. It was a huge grassed area with a tarmac path going right over the top of the hill (benches at the top I think?) and it was THE place to be during the summer holidays. Oceans of room for makeshift football pitches for umpteen matches, cricket too. The hill perfect for running & cycling up and down. We used to call it the 'coalies'.

The air raid shelters don't ring a bell to me - yet.
No idea on the closure date. 20's? 30's?
overyonder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overyonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 2:23pm
I Rember the pit hills. We used to play there as kids although we were not supposed to.
I lived on Hardman st . across manchester rd  from chamber rd. Man we used to get dirty.
Live in Canada now.
BassMan
writersblogq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote writersblogq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 12:47pm
I lived on Windsor Road from about 1955 to 1969. My bedroom window faced Werneth School and I learned to tell the time using the clock on the tower.
Spent a lot of time on the coal pit hills before they were grassed over. I think it was mainly sl*g; spent many happy hours sliding down a sl*g heap on any pieces of broken asbestos roofing we could find in the garages near Langham Street.
The stones and blocks were, I think, part of the original pithead; certainly there was a mine there in the 1700s
Dunk, exiled in Essex
Erniej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erniej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 9:20am
I went to Werneth primary and junior schools between 1943/1952 and remember the coal pit hills off Chamber Rd well. When I first saw them the winding tower was still in position. I like so many children loved to play on them, but you had to be very careful. I also used to play football for Werneth School just below the hill called Red Flats, you hated falling over as the ground was nothing but gravel.
I also remember the air raid shelters in the boy’s playground of the junior school, there also used to be shelters in the girls playground.
What happy memories
None
Path View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Path Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:12am
I remember playing on the coal pit hills and there were railings round the old pit head and winding wheel.I started at Werneth in 1939.The whole class once went into the air raid shelters, I think it was a practice during the war.Happy memories too Ernie.

Edited by Path - 12 Apr 2013 at 8:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic