FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Note: Offensive, abusive and racist contributions will be deleted.
Read the terms and conditions of membership. | Email Forum Moderators

Hand of Help is not a charity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fandango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand of Help is not a charity
    Posted: 17 May 2012 at 11:54am
Please be warned that a company is posting yellow clothing donation bags through peoples doors (Werneth this morning).

At first glance it looks like a very worthy cause but the limited made me wonder and to the bag also states registered in England and is a commercial company.

Fandango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 12:25pm
I should add that they do give money to good causes but the question is what percentage of profits goes to good causes.

Website states
Since 07.2009 till 05.2010 Company "Hand of Help UK" Ltd. donated: $90168.

So IF thats US dollars thats about £57k donated, how much did they raise and why dont they show more recent figures. All good reasons to avoid.
stevewebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevewebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 3:35pm
With my help an article was published in the Oldham Chronicle a few years ago regarding clothing collections. The vast majority od collections are made by private companies who have very tenuous links with genuine charities. Steve Playle a Trading Standards Officer and Team Leader at Surrey Trading Standards Service investigated Hand of Help in August 2009 and was unable to get a response to his phone calls and e-mails. In July 2009 the Advertising Standards Agency ordered them to change their advertising as donators were mislead that the charities named were UK based. They were not as Hand of Help only donated to Lithuanian organisations. In February 2011 they were  told by ASA to change the way they worded their clothing bags. The wording on the bags implied they were a registered charity rather than a registered company. Obviously these companies make a lot of money just by associating themselves with a charity. I recieved a similar flyer recently. The leaflet would appear to be from a charity called Tree of Hope Children's Charity. The leaflet is actually delivered by a company called SOS Clothes Ltd. Their website claims they donate £60 to Tree of Hope for every tonne of clothing they collect. Sounds very charitable but what is the going rate per tonne?..well my local clothes recycler pays £500 per tonne so that's quite a tidy profit.
Unfortunately today mainstream charities are run as businesses and very little money they raise goes to good causes. Even charities that claim all of their profits go to good causes have massive overheads that normally involve inflated wages to directors and senior management. If people are happy about people making profit from charity then so be it. Even Children in Need where all expenses are met by the bbc has rather dubious good causes. In the past some of the money went to Cherie Booth to legally represent a girl who refused to wear her school uniform. Money from Children in Need has also gone to Women in Prison an organisation that campaigns to stop criminals from going to prison.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic