FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Note: Offensive, abusive and racist contributions will be deleted.
Read the terms and conditions of membership. | Email Forum Moderators

Town Hall Plans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stevewebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevewebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Town Hall Plans
    Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:55pm
How can the council leader say that a leisure complex could be a source of civic pride? I doubt that Cineworld and Frankie & Bennys count as part of Oldham's heritage. How about a museum? Oldham has more than it's fair share of cultural, historical and industrial achievements to fill a museum. There's the Churchill connection and it's part in the cotton industry for starters. Just think of a restored building with a couple of ww2 cannons outside or a statue of Churchill. Perhaps a Churchill tank inside and a Spitfire replica. Some old cotton looms or a reptile sanctuary. I've seen free museums operate all over the country. The majority of them have really nice places to eat in them too.
Shaun McGrath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaun McGrath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 6:09pm

I do agree that Oldham is in desperate need of a museum, one that showcases the town’s rich and sumptuous history.

For those of a certain age, the Greaves street Museum was one hell of a place to visit.

I was first introduced to it by my late grandfather in the early 1980s, his passion for the place quickly rubbing off onto me.

Let’s just hope that Oldham Council has the foresight (and the finances) to at some future point create a similarly well-loved receptacle for Oldham’s past.

Shaun
dolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 2:33pm
Having seen pictures on Facebook of this lovely old building I am quite shocked that nothing has been done to the old town hall and has been left to go to rack and ruin.

Shocking is not the word.

Oldham council reallly need sacking for this.
Oldham born and bred
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic