Athletic legend Barrett should have been given a chance
Date published: 08 May 2018
Former Athletic and England star Earl Barrett, pictured during his days at Boundary Park
Re: Oldham Athletic.
It's struggle after struggle each season.
But what do people expect from a board that consistently employs underachieving managers?
I know that a certain ex-club captain Earl Barrett has applied on numerous occasions for the manager's position, only to be told that he didn't have the experience required for the job.
This is a former player who has achieved his coaching European A Licence and also has a sports science degree.
In order to be given an opportunity that this country (who he represented at senior level) is unable to offer him for whatever reasons, he moved to the USA where he is Director of Coaching at a senior soccer academy in Houston, Texas.
It is to our football shame that Earl, and others like him, are being denied a chance to be in coaching in England.
I hope that change will come soon.
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Oldham Chronicle.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Police appeal after woman is raped in Oldham
- 2UPDATED: Police seek witnesses following three car collision INCLUDES EXCLUSIVE PICTURES
- 3It was a 'miracle' only one person was injured - property developer jailed after roof and wall...
- 4Former football coach caged following sexual abuse of boy
- 5Pedalling their way to 'Clean Air Day' awards success