• Search

Strikes on hold as Cake talks resume

Date published: 08 November 2011

A three-day strike which should have started today at Park Cake Bakeries was called off at the last minute to allow talks between management and union officials to continue.

The two sides met on Friday and agreed to continue discussions to see if a deal can be found.

Both have until November 28 to come to a compromise or a second wave of planned strike action, on December 6, 7 and 8, will go ahead.

Roy Streeter, regional officer for the Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union (BFAWU) said: “This is good news, but with caution. It shows both sides are willing to negotiate.

“Our general secretary contacted the company for a meeting on Friday and they agreed to look at the situation.

“There will be five meetings between unions and management to see if we can resolve the issue, with the first held tomorrow.

“Hopefully we can get a resolution but if there is no agreement by November 28, the second lot of strike dates will be taken.”

Unions said 500 members had been set to join the picket line in Oldham today over a contracts dispute.

Last month, union representatives claimed that management brought in a new contract to get round new Government laws designed to protect agency workers. Unions said this would create a two-tier pay system between permanent staff and new employees.

However, the company said it had consulted with the unions on the introduction of new contracts for new employees, but an agreement could not be reached.

It also said staff taking strike action could be putting employees jobs at risk.

A spokesman for Park Cake Bakery said talks were ongoing and the company would not be commenting until those discussions had concluded.

Comments

I hope they can reach a solution without a strike.
People have a right to stand up for themselves but Oldham cant afford to risk so many jobs in these times.

 

Have Your Say

Post New Comment

 

To post a comment you must first Log in.  Don't have an account? Register Now!