Date published: 19 March 2013
Christian Jones: ready to run
AN Oldham runner has helped to launch an illuminating work of art set to light up Salford Quays.
Christian Jones of Limeside Road Runners is backing art charity NVA’s plea for people to take part in Speed of Light.
More than 400 runners will create a human work of art over three nights this Thursday to Saturday in a celebration of movement, light and sound.
Wearing specially designed light suits, each night runners will animate the canal banks, bridges and public spaces around The Lowry, IWM North and MediaCityUK as they move in choreographed patterns set to a specially-commissioned piece of music.
The spectacle has already been staged for the Edinburgh Festival and in Japan.
Angus Farquhar, creative director of NVA, said: “The combination of water, bridges, raised routes and signature architecture is a powerful setting for the subtle patterns of light the runners make.”
Runners must be fit enough to run 5K with ease and available for technical rehearsals. There’s a fee of £10 which includes a T-shirt and a goodie bag.
Register as a runner at www.nvaspeedoflight.org.uk.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Police appeal after woman is raped in Oldham
- 2UPDATED: Police seek witnesses following three car collision INCLUDES EXCLUSIVE PICTURES
- 3It was a 'miracle' only one person was injured - property developer jailed after roof and wall...
- 4Former football coach caged following sexual abuse of boy
- 5Pedalling their way to 'Clean Air Day' awards success