Asthma-attack tragedy of 8-year-old Clayton
Reporter: HELEN KORN
Date online: 22 March 2013
A GRIEVING mum has paid tribute to her eight-year-old son — and praised a taxi driver who tried to save him.
Clayton Barker, from Hathershaw, died after an asthma attack at his grandmoher’s home in Derker.
The youngster had been struggling to breathe and wasn’t able to work his inhaler, so his grandmother called for an ambulance — which hadn’t arrived when his mother Gemma Barker got there in a taxi.
Gemma raced to take him to hospital in the taxi instead. But the Medlock Valley schoolboy collapsed before they could set off.
Toqhir Hussain of Oldham Borough Taxis, described how Clayton ran out of the house telling his mother he couldn’t breathe.
“She was running towards him, screaming. I had to help”
Toqhir, from Coppice, put first aid training to work and began CPR and mouth-to-mouth on Clayton, who had stopped breathing.
He continued for 20 minutes until paramedics took the boy to hospital.
“I was so shocked but all the first-aid training popped back into my head when it came to it.”
Gemma added: “I just want to say a big thank-you to Toqhir for everything he did.
He didn’t leave until the ambulance had gone because he wanted to be sure I was OK. I really appreciate everything he did.”
Toqhir was alter “devastated” to hear Clayton had died
“Gemma has been a loyal customer for years and I knew Clayton as I had picked him and his brothers up before. He was a cheeky one.”
Gemma said: “Clayton laughed all the time. He was as daft as a brush — everyone used to say that as he was always saying funny things.
“We will all miss him very much.”
Teachers at Clayton’s school paid tribute to the “polite and fun loving child”.
They said: “Clayton had lots of friends at Medlock Valley. We will always remember his kindness, his cheerful nature and his beautiful smile.
Clayton leaves two brothers, Daniel (9) and four-year-old Adam.
The family will learn the cause of death today. The funeral will be held after Easter.
Have Your Say