Dog owners warned over toxic algae
Date published: 23 August 2013
Dog owners have been warned to keep their pets on a lead to avoid nasty side effects from algae.
United Utilities has erected warning notices at Ogden and Piethorne reservoirs, Newhey, urging people not to let dogs enter the water.
One dog has died and two have suffered ill effects after what vets believe was exposure to the toxins of blue-green algae.
The algae occurs naturally in bodies of water, and can increase significantly during warm weather.
It produces a bright green or brownish scum and floats on the surface at the water’s edge. Different species include some with known toxic properties for animals and humans.
Symptoms can include diarrhoea, weakness, shock or liver damage and in more extreme cases there is paralysis, tremors or rigidity. Death can occur as quickly as minutes or within a few days.
Have Your Say