• Search

Girl, 13, saves sari-fire gran

Date published: 30 December 2013

A GRANDMOTHER badly burned when her clothes caught fire was saved when her granddaughter snapped into action with techniques she learned in school.

The 13-year-old girl prevented further injury by rolling her 55-year-old grandmother on the ground to smother the flames.

The woman was cleaning in Cedar Crescent, Chadderton, when her sari brushed against a gas fire.

The grandmother, who has not been named, was taken to Wythenshawe Hospital with burns on her back and upper thighs.

Sarah Keaveny, a Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman, said: “The key thing in this incident was that the girl knew what to do. She didn’t panic and took control.”

 

Have Your Say

Post New Comment

 

To post a comment you must first Log in.  Don't have an account? Register Now!

 

 

Browsing with a mobile? Try our mobile website »