Spindles sex attack man cleared
Reporter: Don Frame
Date online: 24 February 2014
A MAN alleged to have subjected a teenage girl to a sexual attack in the Spindles shopping centre has been cleared after a three-day trial.
A jury at Manchester Crown Court took 40 minutes to find 25-year old Mohammed Hassan not guilty on all four counts.
Mr Hassan, of Windsor Road, Oldham, had denied two allegations of sexual assault, and two of attempted rape on August 26 - Bank Holiday Monday - last year.
The girl, who was 19 at the time of the alleged incident, claimed she had been approached by Mr Hassan who chatted her up. She said he later approached her again when he forcibly pinned her against a brick wall near a car park exit at the centre.
The girl told police he had been “steamed”, with wide staring eyes. “I could tell he was high” she said.
She said when she first saw him, he had a joint in his hand.
The trial jury was told when his attempts to persuade her failed, he tried to remove her trousers and pants to rape her.
After struggling with him she ran to tell security officers.
The trial jury heard Mr Hassan didn’t deny being with the girl on the day, but his version of events was that the activity had been entirely consensual. He strongly denied allegations of sexual assault and attempted rape.
Have Your Say