Latics boost as Winchester signs
Reporter: Matthew Chambers
Date published: 03 March 2015
BREAKTHROUGH SEASON: Carl Winchester has fulfilled his abundant promise during an excellent campaign for Latics.
CARL Winchester has handed Athletic a major boost by signing a new contract up to the summer of 2017.
The 21-year-old midfield man has been a breakthrough talent this season, his gliding runs a key feature. His two-and-a-half-year deal is believed to have been agreed some time ago, only for an agent dispute to hold up its announcement.
Winchester missed the Preston defeat and is a doubt for tonight's clash at Port Vale, but caretaker boss Dean Holden hopes he will have other men back to bolster the squad.
“We will have one or two back from injury and it’s a game we can win if we do the things we are good at,” Holden said. “Jacob Mellis will train and there is a slight doubt over Genseric Kusunga.”
Holden is remaining positive about his side’s chances tonight and wants his players to be similarly optimistic.
“It was a bad day on Saturday and we can’t sugar coat that,” he said. “But it was two days ago now and we are moving forward.”
Jonathan Forte could also feature tonight after missing the Preston game through injury.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham trio remanded in custody over drug offences
- 2Man jailed for over two years after offering girls cash for sex
- 3New £35m development in Failsworth will create hundreds of jobs and homes
- 4Homeless-Friendly initiative hopes to aid those in need across Greater Manchester
- 5Paul Scholes accused of breaking football betting rules