Main gains Athletic three points
Reporter: Matthew Chambers
Date published: 19 April 2016
GOAL . . . Curtis Main
SOUTHEND 0, ATHLETIC 1
CURTIS Main scored as Athletic enacted a perfect smash-and-grab raid to gain three points that have put John Sheridan's men within touching distance of safety from relegation.
Despite coming under heavy pressure from the mid-table home side, Main slotted home on 66 minutes from inside the area after being set up by Jonathan Forte, on a slick counter-attack.
David Worrall had forced an excellent save from Joel Coleman in the first half, after Forte had struck a post inside the first two minutes, while Tareiq Holmes-Dennis also went close twice.
Southend enjoyed heavy pressure without it bearing fruit as the visitors clung on.
And after Forte had wasted a chance by going it alone on a rare break, he didn't make the same mistake twice when released after good work in midfield by Timothee Dieng.
Athletic settled into the game after that and substitute Jake Cassidy failed with two chances to score, not that it mattered in the end.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Police appeal after man shot in back, legs and buttocks flees from hospital
- 2Oldham braced for its first blast of wintery weather
- 39-year old Oldham schoolboy scoops one of the top honours in primary schools challenge
- 4Gun and drugs found after reports man is beaten in Saddleworth
- 5Heywood man who stabbed a man in the head and bit the nose off another jailed