Sam’s the man for all seasons
Date published: 11 November 2014
Sam Gee: re-signs for Oldham
SAM Gee’s value to Oldham is that he can play in several positions, says head coach Scott Naylor.
It was Gee’s all-round talent and willingness to play anywhere that appealed to Naylor when he first took him to Whitebank two seasons ago.
He is still regarded by the boss as one of the club’s top players – so Naylor was pleased when his 27-year-old vice-captain agreed a new one-year deal - despite interest from Championship club Whitehaven and others.
“I preferred to stay at Oldham, so I was made up when Scott rang,” said Gee.
Naylor said: “He’s one of the most naturally gifted players at the club. That’s what makes him an all-rounder; that’s why he is such an asset.
“Loose-forward is his best position, in my opinion, but he can and will play anywhere in the best interests of the team. He’s at the top end of our most valued players, not least because he is so versatile. On top of that he’s a great lad to have around and he’s the life and soul of the dressing room.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham trio remanded in custody over drug offences
- 2Man jailed for over two years after offering girls cash for sex
- 3New £35m development in Failsworth will create hundreds of jobs and homes
- 4Homeless-Friendly initiative hopes to aid those in need across Greater Manchester
- 5Paul Scholes accused of breaking football betting rules