Menu

Foodbank volunteers stunned after weekend break-in

Date published: 07 January 2019


Oldham foodbank volunteers have taken to social media, launching an appeal for help after they were broken into and had a number of items, including cash, food and technology, taken.

It is believed the break-in happened between 5.30pm on Saturday night (January 5) and this morning (Monday) when staff opened the building in the town centre.

In a post on Twitter they’ve said three tablets, which were password protected, a hard drive which was also password protected, cash and food was taken during the raid.

The foodbank says one of the tablets was used for the fuel bank, while two others were being used for surveys from Edinburgh University.

Their main PC tower and hard drive were also taken in the robbery.

Greater Manchester Police have confirmed they are investigating the incident adding they believe “an unknown offender entered the premises before stealing a quantity of cash.”

The foodbank has contacted local trade shops in case the tablets have been cashed in over the course of the weekend.

It is understood the offender stole around £200, which had been raised by the foodbank over the Christmas period, and a quantity of food which would have gone to those who currently are struggling without enough money to provide for themselves.

A foodbank spokesperson said: “Obviously as a charity we now have to replace the items for us to continue to provide for the local community in need.

“At present we have retweets and shares via social media and a member of the public offering to donate.”


Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing news@oldham-chronicle.co.uk , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.


Advertisement