Plumes of smoke seen for miles after fire on Saddleworth Moor
Reporter: Jon Chubb
Date published: 26 February 2019
Latest image of the fire on Saddleworth Moor
Three fire crews were called to the scene near Bank Lane in Greenfield at around 3pm on Monday afternoon (25th February) following reports of a fire breaking out on moorland.
Plumes of smoke could be seen from miles around with some people commenting on the scene from as far afield as Stockport.
It’s believed the blaze covered around 200 meters of the moor near to Dovestone Reservoir and comes on the back of a major fire on the moors last week when fire crews from across Tameside and Oldham tackled a fire which covered around 100 square meters.
It’s also less than a year since the massive fire which engulfed grassland during last summer.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service say they have started an investigation to try and find the cause of the blaze.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham doctor shares his experience of life working on the NHS frontline during COVID-19
- 2Roadside danger angers Dovestone locals
- 3Tributes paid to ex-Oldham councillor Angie, who has died aged 61
- 4OSFC’s Aspiring Medics Programme enjoys record number of university offers
- 5The sound of music WILL ring around Saddleworth on Whit Friday