Oldham chef reacts to death of Gary Rhodes
Date published: 27 November 2019
Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes died suddenly in Dubai yesterday (Tuesday 26th November) with his wife Jennie at his side.
In a statament his family said they were "deeply saddened" by his death.
Tributes have been paid from famous chefs in the UK and abroad.
The Oldham Evening Chronicle spoke to Simon Wood, owner of Wood Restaurants, he said, "My head chef at my Manchester restaurant took his first head chef role with Gray Rhodes at Rhodes South in Dorset.
"He's culinary icon throughtout the industry hes inspired many cooks and chefs alike."
"He had a massive influence on people around the world not just the UK, he's a popular figure out there-to such a vast array of chefs of all levels, home cooks and people that love food.
"What you remember him for is the flamboyant approach to cooking, the spikey hair and the energy. You could tell he loved what he did."
"He shaped the industry in it's hay day if you like."
Details about the cause of his death are not yet known.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Free skips rolled out across Middleton estate in bid to cut down on fly-tipping
- 2Angry residents seek action on late night fireworks and anti-social behaviour
- 3Popular brewery to open tap room in new premises
- 4Oldham MP salutes 'good news' as Latics reveal agreement which means re-opening of North Stand
- 5Developer reveals plans for hundreds of homes on controversial greenfield site