Rescue team rush to aid of disorientated pair
Reporter: Ken Bennett
Date published: 04 January 2021
A scene from the dramatic rescue
The intrepid héroes of the hills turned a 21-strong team out to find a pair of disorientated walkers on New Years Eve.
Oldham Mountain Rescue Team received a request from Greater Manchester Police, asking for assistance locating the pair, who had become disorientated and lost in the low cloud on the Dovestone Edge path.
GMP were able to provide a general location in the Birchen Clough area, and a follow-up phone call from the Callout Officer managed to pinpoint their whereabouts more accurately with the benefit of local knowledge.
Said an OMRT spokesperson: “This meant we soon had a group of team members with the lost party and were able to escort them and their dog back down to our vehicles.
“After a short spell at our base to get a brew and warm up, they were dropped back at their own car so they could return home to their families.”
The operation lasted two hours.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Demolition of Oldham 'eyesore' to be completed 'within weeks'
- 2Cafe prosecuted for breaching food safety and hygiene regulations
- 3What really goes on inside an Oldham rapid coronavirus testing centre
- 4Tony hopes to be back on track soon - thanks to the power of a Dragon!
- 5A Tesco Express store in Oldham is to be transformed into a 'One-Stop'