Residents evacuated after suspicious item discovered in a garden
Date published: 01 March 2021
Emergency services were called and a cordon was put in place
Residents were evacuated from their homes yesterday afternoon following a report of a suspicious item being found in a garden on Connery Crescent in Ashton.
Emergency services were called and a cordon was put in place.
Bomb disposal experts were deployed as residents spent a number of hours outside their homes during the incident.
A Greater Manchester Police spokesperson later that the item had been taken away to be safely destroyed.
The spokesperson said: “The item found in Ashton was moved by Explosive Ordnance Disposal to north Wales to be destroyed.
"All evacuated residents were allowed back in their homes at around 9.45pm.”
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Plans for 160 homes to be decided by councillors
- 2‘All I needed was a chance’: The former ‘speed’ addict who used lockdown to turn her life around
- 3Dogs Trust’s longest term resident hopes to find love as lockdown lifts
- 4Man who fled after crashing his car into a wall is jailed
- 5NHS staff at the Royal Oldham Hospital hit with parking fines from private company