Saluting 'The Few' as the Battle of Britain is commemorated
Date published: 14 September 2020
Witnessed in the skies over our embattled nation in 1940, the Battle of Britain is commemorated tomorrow [September 15, 2020].
Many, though – including Churchill and Hitler – considered invasion of our islands impossible while ships and submarines of the Royal Navy and Commonwealth navies maintained command of the English Channel.
Some 2,945 aviators were 'The Few', with one fifth representing 13 nations.
Also among The Few were 56 Fleet Air Arm aircrew from the Royal Navy, young men flying with RAF squadrons and two (804 and 808) Naval Air Squadrons.
Four naval aviators, including one Royal Marine, were ‘fighter aces’.
We salute them all.
Lieutenant Commander, Royal Navy
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Oldham Chronicle.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1201 homes approved for green land in Oldham despite concerns over look of affordable homes
- 2Can John Sheridan turn things around at Oldham Athletic?
- 3Oldham Mountain Rescue Team involved in dramatic helicopter rescue
- 4Police 'increasingly concerned' about missing woman from Oldham
- 5Arooj Shah: Care workers deserve more than just claps"