Saluting 'The Few' as the Battle of Britain is commemorated
Date published: 14 September 2020
Witnessed in the skies over our embattled nation in 1940, the Battle of Britain is commemorated tomorrow [September 15, 2020].
Many, though – including Churchill and Hitler – considered invasion of our islands impossible while ships and submarines of the Royal Navy and Commonwealth navies maintained command of the English Channel.
Some 2,945 aviators were 'The Few', with one fifth representing 13 nations.
Also among The Few were 56 Fleet Air Arm aircrew from the Royal Navy, young men flying with RAF squadrons and two (804 and 808) Naval Air Squadrons.
Four naval aviators, including one Royal Marine, were ‘fighter aces’.
We salute them all.
Lieutenant Commander, Royal Navy
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Oldham Chronicle.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Investigation launched after woman's body found in Bardsley
- 2GMP remove support for Failsworth Street Patrol
- 3Concerns raised over flagship Riverside shopping centre after it emerges the council is liable for...
- 4Pair arrested following woman's death
- 5Oldham's Covid infection rate falls again, but remains 44% higher than the England average.