Let there be light
Date published: 09 December 2008
Young people from Derker set out on the parade with their lanterns.
THE town centre glittered in the darkness when people of all faiths took part in a lantern parade.
The event was part of the fifth annual Oldham Festival of Light which celebrates the religious festivals of Christmas, Eid-Al-Adhaa, Hanukkah, Diwali and Bodhi Bay.
The festivities were organised by Oldham Interfaith Forum and included entertainment, with Oldham Intermediate Brass Band playing carols to welcome guests, a welcome by religious leaders and a light meal at the Queen Elizabeth Hall.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Man jailed for over two years after offering girls cash for sex
- 2Homeless-Friendly initiative hopes to aid those in need across Greater Manchester
- 3New £35m development in Failsworth will create hundreds of jobs and homes
- 4Paul Scholes accused of breaking football betting rules
- 5Oldham man stars in new Parkinson's campaign