Let there be light
Date published: 09 December 2008
Young people from Derker set out on the parade with their lanterns.
THE town centre glittered in the darkness when people of all faiths took part in a lantern parade.
The event was part of the fifth annual Oldham Festival of Light which celebrates the religious festivals of Christmas, Eid-Al-Adhaa, Hanukkah, Diwali and Bodhi Bay.
The festivities were organised by Oldham Interfaith Forum and included entertainment, with Oldham Intermediate Brass Band playing carols to welcome guests, a welcome by religious leaders and a light meal at the Queen Elizabeth Hall.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Schoolchildren surprised by Army helicopter landing in Shaw
- 2Resturants in Oldham and Rochdale are among the best in Britain
- 3Oldham students travel to Rome to witness patron of school become a Saint
- 4Oldham's Lyndhurst Primary School on ITV's This Morning
- 5Interserve wins £13m contract to create a ‘cultural gateway’ for Oldham with new Heritage & Arts...