Let there be light
Date published: 09 December 2008
Young people from Derker set out on the parade with their lanterns.
THE town centre glittered in the darkness when people of all faiths took part in a lantern parade.
The event was part of the fifth annual Oldham Festival of Light which celebrates the religious festivals of Christmas, Eid-Al-Adhaa, Hanukkah, Diwali and Bodhi Bay.
The festivities were organised by Oldham Interfaith Forum and included entertainment, with Oldham Intermediate Brass Band playing carols to welcome guests, a welcome by religious leaders and a light meal at the Queen Elizabeth Hall.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Plans for nearly 100 affordable homes on the site of a former arson-plagued mill in Oldham approved
- 2Oldham bosses warn ‘we can’t afford to blow it’ as cases of Covid-19 increase
- 3Top ten Covid-19 hotspots in Greater Manchester revealed
- 4Middleton’s name could be ‘wiped off the parliamentary map’ under new boundary proposals
- 5UPDATED: Man jailed for 21 weeks after car was stolen from Chadderton