Overdose was an accident

Date published: 20 August 2009

AN Oldham man who suffered from depression for most of his life died after accidentally overdosing on his medication.

Eugene Duffy. who was described by his family as intelligent with a good sense of humour, was found dead in his flat in Marshall Court on October 20 last year.

A post mortem examination later found that he had toxic levels of the anti-psychotic drug clozapine in his blood. The inquest heard that Mr Duffy (47), who couldn’t work due to ill health, was taking a cocktail of drugs to combat depression and possible schizophrenia and regularly saw a psychiatrist at the Royal Oldham Hospital.

But he had strong ideas about how much medication he should be on and decided to modify his doses according to what he felt he needed, regardless of any medical advice he was given.

Coroner Simon Nelson recorded a verdict of misadventure. He said: “I don’t believe that he intended to kill himself.”

While you are here...

...we have a small favour to ask; would you support Oldham Chronicle and join other residents making a contribution, from just £3 per month?

Oldham Chronicle offers completely independent local journalism with free access. If you enjoy the independent news and other free services we offer, please consider supporting us financially and help Oldham Chronicle to continue to provide local engaging content for years to come. Thank you.

Support Oldham Chronicle