WOOLAS-WATKINS . . . THE VERDICT'S IN
Date published: 05 November 2010
PHIL WOOLAS has sensationally lost his election court case and judges have ordered a rerun of this year's election in Oldham East and Saddleworth.
The case was taken out by Lib-Dem candidate Elwyn Watkins after he lost the 2010 election by only 103 votes following a bitter campaign.
The case centred on a newspaper-type election flyer produced by Labour attacking Mr Watkins, and the judges ruled that former Immigration Minister Woolas knowingly made false statements about his opponent.
Woolas is debarred from standing in the rerun, a date for which has yet to be announced.
The judges gave their ruling today at Uppermill Civic Hall in what was the first such hearing for nearly a century.
+++ for the full judges' verdict and reaction see Monday's Chronicle +++
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Grass-topped ‘earth houses’ could be built in Saddleworth
- 2Oldham pray for goals ahead of Stevenage visit
- 3Man jailed for child sex offences after chatting online to adults he thought were children
- 4Three men arrested after 13kg of drugs seized in early morning raids
- 5Join the 'Big Oldham Conversation'