Festival of Light a huge success
Reporter: Marina Berry
Date published: 14 December 2011
Oldham Junior Choir performs at the Christmas Festival Concert
TWO women in their 90s were among the 650-strong crowd at this year’s Oldham’s Festival of Light.
The event, in its ninth year, was held at the Grand Venue, Westwood, where festivalgoers enjoyed a celebration of religious festivals of the season.
Michael Meacher, MP, gave a vote of thanks in which he acknowledged the tremendous importance of this type of festival for the building of a strong and diverse community for Oldham.
Jit Kara, chairman of the Oldham Interfaith Forum said: “This has been a wonderful celebration. We seem to have established a new tradition of which people want to be apart, and, according to early evaluations, are more and more appreciative.”
View all our pictures from the festival on the “buy a photo” tab above
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Plans for nearly 100 affordable homes on the site of a former arson-plagued mill in Oldham approved
- 2Oldham bosses warn ‘we can’t afford to blow it’ as cases of Covid-19 increase
- 3Top ten Covid-19 hotspots in Greater Manchester revealed
- 4Middleton’s name could be ‘wiped off the parliamentary map’ under new boundary proposals
- 5UPDATED: Man jailed for 21 weeks after car was stolen from Chadderton