Festival of Light a huge success
Reporter: Marina Berry
Date published: 14 December 2011
Oldham Junior Choir performs at the Christmas Festival Concert
TWO women in their 90s were among the 650-strong crowd at this year’s Oldham’s Festival of Light.
The event, in its ninth year, was held at the Grand Venue, Westwood, where festivalgoers enjoyed a celebration of religious festivals of the season.
Michael Meacher, MP, gave a vote of thanks in which he acknowledged the tremendous importance of this type of festival for the building of a strong and diverse community for Oldham.
Jit Kara, chairman of the Oldham Interfaith Forum said: “This has been a wonderful celebration. We seem to have established a new tradition of which people want to be apart, and, according to early evaluations, are more and more appreciative.”
View all our pictures from the festival on the “buy a photo” tab above
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Liquid and Envy nightclub set to reopen within weeks
- 2Paying more and getting less - the town that got £200m taken out if its pockets
- 3New community space to come at cost of 130-year-old pub
- 4Drug dealer stopped in Greenfield was linked to deals worth more than £130k
- 5Mom's Spaghetti radio set to bring a full day of live hip-hop, house and happiness to Oldham