Festival of Light a huge success
Reporter: Marina Berry
Date published: 14 December 2011
Oldham Junior Choir performs at the Christmas Festival Concert
TWO women in their 90s were among the 650-strong crowd at this year’s Oldham’s Festival of Light.
The event, in its ninth year, was held at the Grand Venue, Westwood, where festivalgoers enjoyed a celebration of religious festivals of the season.
Michael Meacher, MP, gave a vote of thanks in which he acknowledged the tremendous importance of this type of festival for the building of a strong and diverse community for Oldham.
Jit Kara, chairman of the Oldham Interfaith Forum said: “This has been a wonderful celebration. We seem to have established a new tradition of which people want to be apart, and, according to early evaluations, are more and more appreciative.”
View all our pictures from the festival on the “buy a photo” tab above
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Schoolchildren surprised by Army helicopter landing in Shaw
- 2Resturants in Oldham and Rochdale are among the best in Britain
- 3Oldham students travel to Rome to witness patron of school become a Saint
- 4Interserve wins £13m contract to create a ‘cultural gateway’ for Oldham with new Heritage & Arts...
- 5Oldham's Lyndhurst Primary School on ITV's This Morning