Uniforms for library staff ‘a waste of money’
Date published: 17 December 2014
LIBRARY staff have hit out at plans to introduce a uniform for employees labelling it a waste of money.
A woman, who wants to remain anonymous, said: “Oldham Council keep telling us that they need to save bucket loads of money.
“This will involve cuts to services to residents and the loss of jobs. At this time the libraries intend to introduce a uniform for it’s staff — a totally unnecessary waste of money.”
Councillor Arooj Shah, deputy cabinet member for policy and communications, said: “Over the last few years Oldham Council has introduced uniforms for front line staff.
“Other public-sector bodies and partner organisations, like Oldham Community Leisure, have employee uniforms.
“We are currently talking to library staff about our proposals.
“Uniforms would make our staff more recognisable to members of the public which means when asked we can help deal with queries and requests for help quicker.
“Any uniforms that are chosen will be smart and provide value for money. All costs will come from within existing library budgets.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Daughter Of former Oldham Welder appeals for help following his death from asbestos cancer
- 2Leaked Child Sexual Exploitation report says 12-year-old girl's rape case was 'covered up'
- 3More bus strikes confirmed for next week
- 4Rayner calls for Johnson to resign after No 10 apologises to Buckingham Palace over parties on eve...
- 5Murder investigation launched following the disappearance of a man from Failsworth