Osborne blasted for ‘evasive’ response
Reporter: Iram Ramzan
Date published: 07 December 2015
Debbie Abrahams MP
Oldham MP Debbie Abrahams has criticised Chancellor George Osborne’s response to research suggesting nearly 600 suicides among disabled and sick people could be linked to the Government’s fit for work test.
Following the autumn statement, the Oldham East and Saddleworth MP - shadow minister for disabled people - challenged the Chancellor about research that revealed the possible extent of fit-for-work casualties between 2010-13.
She said: “I wanted to hear some more of the detail. His response was, quite frankly, predictably evasive.
“The Chancellor’s evasiveness on this issue underlines how the Government just ignores the mountain of evidence being presented to them.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Families move into new FCHO affordable housing development in Royton
- 2Teenage gang car-jack woman at knife-point in Oldham
- 3Oldham sees highest daily new cases since start of pandemic
- 4Saddleworth School accused of 'cover-ups' after pupil is left with slashed face
- 5Calls for ‘targeted’ curfews at venues in high infection areas