Osborne blasted for ‘evasive’ response
Reporter: Iram Ramzan
Date published: 07 December 2015
Debbie Abrahams MP
Oldham MP Debbie Abrahams has criticised Chancellor George Osborne’s response to research suggesting nearly 600 suicides among disabled and sick people could be linked to the Government’s fit for work test.
Following the autumn statement, the Oldham East and Saddleworth MP - shadow minister for disabled people - challenged the Chancellor about research that revealed the possible extent of fit-for-work casualties between 2010-13.
She said: “I wanted to hear some more of the detail. His response was, quite frankly, predictably evasive.
“The Chancellor’s evasiveness on this issue underlines how the Government just ignores the mountain of evidence being presented to them.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham child rapist sentenced to 18 years in jail after sexually abusing three young boys
- 2Council animation celebrates the re-opening of Oldham’s high streets and reminds residents to do...
- 3Oldhamers gearing up for a return to the pub - albeit outdoors for now
- 4Dovestone Rangers Service is closed following drop in revenue
- 5Pub which lost licence over Covid breaches denied new licence