Osborne blasted for ‘evasive’ response
Reporter: Iram Ramzan
Date published: 07 December 2015
Debbie Abrahams MP
Oldham MP Debbie Abrahams has criticised Chancellor George Osborne’s response to research suggesting nearly 600 suicides among disabled and sick people could be linked to the Government’s fit for work test.
Following the autumn statement, the Oldham East and Saddleworth MP - shadow minister for disabled people - challenged the Chancellor about research that revealed the possible extent of fit-for-work casualties between 2010-13.
She said: “I wanted to hear some more of the detail. His response was, quite frankly, predictably evasive.
“The Chancellor’s evasiveness on this issue underlines how the Government just ignores the mountain of evidence being presented to them.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1‘If you don’t act now we are looking at a lockdown’: 11th hour warning to residents ahead of...
- 2Oldham has the highest Covid-19 infection rate in the country
- 3Man arrested following 'utterly shocking' rape of a 14-year-old girl
- 4Why increased testing doesn’t explain fears over rising cases
- 5Revealed: which areas of Oldham have the highest coronavirus cases