MPs in equality charter pledge
Date published: 08 December 2015
WORKING for a fairer Oldham . . . Jim McMahon joins local MPs Debbie Abrahams (left) and Angela Rayner in signing pledge for Fairer Oldham
NEWLY-ELECTED Oldham West and Royton MP Jim McMahon joined local MPs Debbie Abrahams Angela Rayner in signing a charter pledging equality across the borough.
The Oldham Fairness Charter pledges to deliver the recommendations from the Oldham Fairness Commission (OFC) to help reduce inequalities across Oldham. The OFC was set up by Mrs Abrahams — MP for Oldham East and Saddleworth — in 2013 to identify local inequalities in education, employment and income. The OFC’s report was published in March.
Mrs Abrahams, who also chaired the Commission, said: “It’s great to have Jim and Angela on board. We are absolutely committed to building a fairer Oldham, and to tackle the inequalities that exist.
“We are working with our Commissioners to host a conference in January 2016 with organisations and businesses across the private, public and voluntary sector, and with the public too, to develop and refine the report’s recommendations.
“Following the report we now have a wider understanding of the issues and a commitment to tackle them from our commissioners, who have represented key organisations and sectors in Oldham.
“Oldham is a wonderful place to live and work but it is a fact that certain groups of people do better than others.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Investigation underway after man and woman stabbed inside a property in Oldham.
- 2Oldham Athletic's kick off time on Saturday moved, due to HRH Prince Philip's funeral.
- 3Oldham child rapist sentenced to 18 years in jail after sexually abusing three young boys
- 4Council animation celebrates the re-opening of Oldham’s high streets and reminds residents to do...
- 5Roughyeds pay tribute to one of their stars of the seventies