Cam off it David, you slipped up...
Reporter: Iram Ramzan
Date published: 11 January 2016
Debbie Abrahams MP
OLDHAM MP Debbie Abrahams tripped David Cameron up at Prime Minister’s Questions on issues of pay and equality.
The Oldham East and Saddleworth MP asked the Prime Minister if he supported the idea that businesses should publish data about the pay gap between their top and average salaries.
When answering Mrs Abraham’s question Mr Cameron apparently admitted that since he became Prime Minister “income equality has actually fallen whereas it went up under Labour. Those are the facts.”
He meant income inequality, but the slip went unnoticed by the Conservative press office who later tweeted the gaffe out, word for word, to 40,000 followers.
After the exchange Mrs Abrahams said: “I can’t quite decide if this is a moment of refreshing honesty or an example of a Freudian slip from the Prime Minister!
“Amusing as it is we shouldn’t be distracted from the fact that, once again, David Cameron failed to answer a straightforward question at PMQs.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham Council announces Christmas refuse collection arrangements
- 2Footage released of a man following assaults of two women in Oldham
- 3Latics fans march to protest against current ownership
- 4Election disillusionment on the streets of Oldham
- 5Controversial petrol station to sell alcohol round-the-clock