Eardley signs for Blackpool
Date published: 07 August 2009
LATICS spent most of the summer denying that fullback Neal Eardley was leaving the club.
But on the eve of the new season, the Welsh international has today signed for Championship club Blackpool, for an undisclosed fee.
There had been reports that Eardley had a knee problem but that he had hopefully recovered in time to be considered for selection for Athletic's opening game tomorrow against struggling neighbours Stockport County.
However, he will instead be with the Tangerines.
The product of the successful Boundary Park youth system, Eardley made his debut three years ago and played over 100 times scoring ten goals while playing at both fullback and in midfield.
Many Latics watchers have been predicting an Eardley departure as boss Dave Penney has built-up cover through summer signings.
And in the arrival of Alex Marrow on a month's loan from Blackburn Rovers yesterday, Penney has a ready-made replacement in a defence that certainly needs to improve on its pre-season record.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham trio remanded in custody over drug offences
- 2Man jailed for over two years after offering girls cash for sex
- 3New £35m development in Failsworth will create hundreds of jobs and homes
- 4Homeless-Friendly initiative hopes to aid those in need across Greater Manchester
- 5Paul Scholes accused of breaking football betting rules