Labour win Failsworth East by-election
Date published: 05 December 2018
Liz Jacques is pictured (left) with husband Paul Jean Jacques in 2017
A long-serving educational support worker has joined her husband on the seats of the Oldham Council chamber after winning the Failsworth East ward by-election.
Liz Jacques, the Labour party candidate, was declared the victor, beating her closest contender, the Conservatives' Antony Cahill, by 677 to 336 votes.
Mrs Jacques is married to cabinet member for education and former headteacher, Councillor Paul Jacques.
Cherryl Brock gave notice of her intention to stand down in October.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Manhunt after 79-year-old suffers serious head injuries in 'shocking' Hollinwood car theft
- 2Met Office warning as cold weather is about to bite
- 3Twelve 'selfish' residents prosecuted for blighting our Borough
- 4Witnesses sought after 'coward' leaves Beryl with serious injuries
- 5'Perverted individual' from Oldham caged for two years after having sex with a 13-year-old