A chance of thunder tonight after Oldham scorches in the sun
Date published: 23 July 2019
A glorious sunny scene looking across Oldham Edge this afternoon (Tues)
Temperatures have soared across Oldham today as a week of scorchers and heavy rain is in prospect.
Temperatures have hit a stifling 30 degrees today (Tueesday), but there is a chance of thunderstorms overnight tonight.
Another lovely, humid day is in prospect tomorrow, while temperature records look set to be broken elsewhere in the UK on Thursday.
The current record is 38.5 degrees, recorded in Faversham in August, 2003, but that could be under threat on Thursday.
By Friday, a permanent change to cooler conditions is forecast for the Oldham area.
Meanwhile, as temperatures are set to soar this week, Diabetes UK is reminding people living with diabetes to be extra vigilant in the hot weather.
To help, the charity is sharing four top tips on how to stay safe and well when the weather gets warm:
· Monitor blood glucose levels more often
· Keep meters and test strips away from the sun
· Keep your insulin in the fridge or a cool bag
· Apply sunscreen on your feet
Clare Howarth is the Head of the North of England at Diabetes UK.
She said: “Enjoying the sun is one of the things many people look forward to in the summer – whether at home or on holiday – but with the right precautions there is no reason people with diabetes can’t enjoy the hot weather like anybody else."
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Blue Coat head salutes hard work and commitment on GCSE results day
- 2Students at Oasis Academy Oldham go on to a 'very exciting future'
- 3Flooding scheme to protect a hundred homes in Oldham approved
- 4Rejected contentious 77-house plan in Oldham returns to committee
- 5Superfast broadband will come to Oldham