Man caged for 12 months after biting police officer in 'barbaric assault'
Date published: 29 May 2020
A man who bit a police officer’s arm in an attempt to evade arrest has been jailed for 12 months.
Yesterday Daniel Chipchase (aged 41) of Cheviot Close, Middleton, was sentenced to 12 months custody at Minshull Street Crown Court for a Section 47 assault on a police officer.
The officer was taken to hospital due to how severe his injuries were (see image below).
He has since been discharged.
Police Constable Daniella Capper, of GMP’s Rochdale District, said: “As police officers we do not come to work and expect to be assaulted.
"The officer involved was subject to an unprovoked barbaric assault from Chipchase.
"We hope this result sends a clear message that this type of behaviour towards our officers will not be tolerated on the streets of Manchester and is totally unacceptable.”
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1‘This is why Oldham has got such a bad name’ – councillors defer controversial planning application
- 2Tower blocks could be demolished for modern new homes
- 3Akkas shares 72nd birthday feast with NHS workers, TV stars and other grateful guests
- 4Oldham murder attempts - man charged
- 5New plans submitted to transform Egyptian Rooms in Old Town Hall