Firefighters at the scene of a moorland fire in Greenfield
Date published: 02 June 2020
Smoke can be seen across Greater Manchester [Pic: Craig Hannah]
Residents have been asked to keep windows and doors closed as ten fire engines are tackling a fire near to Pots and Pans in Greenfield.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service was called at 2.20pm this afternoon to reports of a moorland fire near Holmfirth Road, Oldham, close to Dove Stone Reservoir.
Pictures show smoke billowing across the skyline, with plumes visible across Greater Manchester.
Oldham Council has closed the Dove Stone Reservoir car park entrance off Holmfirth Road and have asked motorists to avoid the area.
A spokesman for the GMFRS said: "The fire is producing a large amount of smoke. Please can people avoid the area while firefighters tackle the fire and if you live near by keep your windows and doors closed.
MORE TO FOLLOW
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Farm shop staff 'intimidated' by travellers parked illegally on their land
- 2Angry residents seek action on late night fireworks and anti-social behaviour
- 3Free skips rolled out across Middleton estate in bid to cut down on fly-tipping
- 4Popular brewery to open tap room in new premises
- 5Oldham MP salutes 'good news' as Latics reveal agreement which means re-opening of North Stand