So, what exactly are the Tier 3 restrictions?

Reporter: Grace Marner
Date published: 23 October 2020

Prime Minister Boris Johnson imposed Tier 3 restrictions upon Greater Manchester yesterday (Tuesday) after talks with local leaders failed to come to an agreement.

We enter the covid "very high alert" level from 00:01 on Friday morning, but what exactly does this mean for businesses and residents in the region?

These businesses will have to shut to customers:

Pubs and bars that don't serve 'substantial' meals


Bingo halls

Betting shops

Adult gaming centres

Soft play areas

It is down to local authorities as to whether leisure centres, gyms, tourist attractions, public buildings and arts venues have to close.

So far it appears these will remain open in Greater Manchester. 

The 10pm curfew is also still in place for restaurants and they can only serve alcohol with a meal.

Local authorities do however, have the power to prevent the sale alcohol altogether or close them completely if needs be.

Places that provide takeaway grub are the only food outlets able to stay open past 10pm. 

What about what we can and can't do in the area?

You cannot meet anyone outside your household or support bubble indoors in any setting or outdoors in most public venues or in a private garden

You can meet people outside your household or bubble outdoors in outdoor public spaces like parks, the countryside, forests, public gardens, allotments, outdoor sports courts and facilities and playgrounds - but you must stick to the 'rule of 6' (which includes children of any age) and socially distance from each other.

Groups of up to 15 people can meet for a wedding or equivalent or equivalent ceremony but there must be no reception and not take place in private dwellings

There's a maximum of 30 people allowed at funerals

A maximum of 15 people are permitted at wakes and other commemorative events if they are not in a private dwelling

Places of worship are allowed to stay open if people abide by social distancing guidelines and may be subject to further restrictions

You are strongly advised not to leave the area unless for work or education and limit the number of journeys you make

If you do leave the area, you must abide by the restrictions of your Tier even if you travel to a place with a lower alert level

You are able to visit someone in a care home in exceptional circumstances. For example, they are at the end of their life

Schools, colleges, universities and places of work will all remain open.

But workplaces where people can still work from home should still encourage workers to not go into the workplace. If workers are needed to go in, it must be a COVID secure space. 

Support bubbles are in place for an adult living alone who can join another household.

There are also childcare bubbles allowed.

This is where someone outside the household can provide informal childcare to a child under the age of 13, but it must always be between the same two households ie. your mum could look after the kids for you when you're out a work but she must always be the one to look after them when you need it.

There is also financial support available to anyone affected by the new restrictions.

If you employer doesn't have any work for you to do they can put you on furlough and get a grant to cover two thirds of your wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

If your salary reduces, then you may be eligible to top up your wages with Universal Credit.

If you need to self isolate and cannot work from home you may be able to get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from your employer. 

You can apply for Universal Credit if you aren't eligible for SSP.

There is also the Test and Trace Support Scheme where you may be eligible for a payment of £500 if you're told to isolate.

This is for the employed or self employed who are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result and are receiving benefits.

Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.