Car gutted by fire

Reporter: Ken Bennett
Date published: 06 November 2020

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service sent a fire engine from Oldham to a vehicle fire at Brun Clough Reservoir in Saddleworth.

Crews found the car well alight when they arrived on scene on Wednesday night, and used two hose reels to extinguish the fire.

Said a GMFRS spokesman: "We believe the fire started due to a stray firework entering the car.

“One occupant of the car suffered a slight burn from the firework which firefighters treated with burn cool gel as a precaution.

“This incident goes to show the very serious consequences that misuse of fireworks can have.

"Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service's advice is not to have fireworks and bonfires at home, but it you are going to celebrate at home, do so only with your own household and stay safe by following the Fireworks Code."

Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.