Firefighters attacked over bonfire weekend
Date published: 09 November 2020
From 5pm on Friday to 8am today, firefighters from across Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service received 533 calls and attended 276 incidents
Firefighters across Greater Manchester have been pelted with sticks, stones and bricks as bonfire celebrations continued over the weekend, despite a plea last week for people to stay at home and respect emergency services.
From 5pm on Friday (November 6) to 8am today (Monday), firefighters from across Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service received 533 calls and attended 276 incidents.
Deputy Mayor for Policing, Crime, Criminal Justice and Fire, Bev Hughes, said: “Our emergency service colleagues have worked exceptionally hard, not just this week, but for the last nine months whilst we’ve been dealing with the Coronavirus pandemic.
“I’d ask everyone to think twice about their actions.
"Our blue light workers put their lives on the line every single day to keep you and your families safe and they have their own families to go home to at the end of their shift.
"They already have a challenging job, please don’t add to this by behaving inconsiderately.”
At 4.22pm on Friday a crew from Manchester Central attended a bonfire involving a quantity of wood on a waste ground in Aldbourne Close, Manchester.
Approximately 20 youths were in attendance and firefighters gave advice to the group.
Later that day at 7.33pm Manchester Central attended another bonfire at the same location in Manchester.
On arrival firefighters were faced with approximately 10 to 15 youths throwing items, including bricks, at them.
After assessing the scene, firefighters decided to withdraw from the incident as the bonfire was in a safe position away from surrounding properties.
Deputy Chief Fire Officer, Dawn Docx, said: “Thankfully no one was injured at either of these incidents on Saturday or the attack on Thursday evening, but this is completely unacceptable.
“No firefighter, police officer or paramedic should be subject to an attack for doing their job and keeping the people of Greater Manchester safe.
“We’ve all had a challenging time this year and I would ask everyone to continue to support their emergency services by staying at home and staying safe.”
Other incidents that crews attended over the weekend include bin fires and bonfires in the open.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) is running a firework amnesty.
If you have any unused fireworks that you would like to dispose of safely, please call 0800 555 815.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Two Oldham men charged in connection with teenager’s murder
- 2Plans Submitted to Transform Maple Mill into a New Affordable Housing Development
- 317 tons of rubbish fly-tipped on road in Oldham
- 4Victory for objectors after Mossley housing plans rejected
- 5Former school site could be developed with 150 new homes