Warning issued following Royton log burner fire
Date published: 27 November 2020
Crews were faced with a fire believed to be caused by a blocked flue in a log burner
Firefighters from Chadderton and Oldham Community Fire Stations raced to a house fire yesterday (Thursday) on Lily Street in Royton.
On arrival crews were faced with a fire believed to be caused by a blocked flue in a log burner.
Firefighters used one hose reel, a roof ladder, a short extension ladder and other specialist equipment to extinguish the fire.
Crews were in attendance for just over an hour.
From November 2019 to March 2020, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) attended 32 chimney fire related incidents - a decrease of 9 per cent in the number of chimney fires from the previous year.
Head of Prevention, Paul Duggan said: “Thankfully our quick-thinking actions of our crews prevented this incident from being any more serious.
“This incident is a timely reminder following yesterday’s news from the government on the tier for Greater Manchester.
"With more people spending more time at home in the run-up to Christmas I’d urge everyone, if they haven’t already, to get their chimneys swept.
"Not only does this help to keep you safe from fire but it also makes your fire more efficient.”
Mr Duggan continued: “Before you light your next fire please inspect your chimney breast, and the roof space if you can.
"Look out for cracks or broken bricks that sparks or fumes could escape from when the fire is lit.
“And remember a working smoke alarm will give you and your household vital time to escape if a fire did occur in your home, so please make it a priority this weekend to test yours.”
To minimise the risk of a chimney fire in your home follow the top tips below:
Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
Make sure embers are properly put out before you go to bed
Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
How often should you clean your chimney?
Oil - Once a year
Gas - Once a year
Bituminous coal - Twice a year
Wood - Up to four times a year
Smokeless coals - At least once a year
Find a chimney sweep near you by using one of the following:
The Association of Professional and Independent Chimney Sweeps
Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps
Residents are also encouraged to check with their home insurers on validation if your chimney has not been swept.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.