Dr Kershaw’s launches Will Month

Date published: 10 September 2021


Dr Kershaw’s has launched Will Month, giving those in the community who haven’t yet got a Will the opportunity to access the expertise and Will writing services of local solicitors who will support the Hospice.

With the slogan, ‘Make a Will, Make a Difference,’ Dr Kershaws' Will Month will take place throughout November, but the community are able to sign up from today.

Hospice Community Engagement Team Leader, Lillie Winterbottom, said: “A Last Will and Testament is your way of telling everyone what should happen to your money, possessions, property and even who should care for your children or pets, after you pass away.

"So that you can decide who will receive your estate, consider making your Will during Dr Kershaw's Will Month.

"Throughout November, selected solicitors are offering to help you write your Will, giving their expertise completely free of charge, asking instead that you make a difference towards patient care at our Hospice.

"All you have to do is look at the list of solicitors who have partnered with us on our website, contact your chosen solicitor to make an appointment for in November, mentioning Dr Kershaw’s Will Month and then make a donation to the Hospice directly with your solicitor.”

Making a Will with one of the Hospice’s supporting solicitors is free of charge, however, to support patient care there is a suggested minimum donation of £75 for a single Will, £100 for a Mirror Will, and £50 for a Codicil, making a Will during Dr Kershaw’s Will Month so much more affordable.

The solicitors taking part in the scheme are waiving their fees for simple Wills.

However, if there is a more complex requirement there may also be an additional fee to pay them.

Your solicitor will be able to advise of this once an appointment has been made.

Hospice Receptionist, Sarah Warren, aged 50, spoke of why her and her husband are signing up for a Will this Will Month.

She said: “We’ve been thinking about getting a Will for a while, but have never got round to it, we are both getting a bit older and our children are moving on in life.

"Will Month is the ideal opportunity, to make sure that our plans are in place and our wishes are clear whilst also supporting the crucial services at the Hospice.”

Hospice Chief Executive Joanne Sloan added: “I am so proud that we are launching Will Month, offering the community the chance to access a vital service, whilst also bringing in much needed funds for our Hospice.

"My husband and I have been meaning to make a Will for years, but it’s something that is easy to put off for another day.

"It’s such a simple thing to do and will help our children so much should tragedgy strike and the unthinkable happen and we pass away together.”

To find out more and for a list of participating solicitors, visit: www.drkh.org.uk/WillMonth or call the Hospice’s Fundraising Team on 0161 624 9984.

When writing your Will, you may also like to consider leaving a gift to charity.

Director of Income Development and Marketing, Rebecca Bentham, is responsible for legacy donations at the Hospice.

She said: “When you write your Will, you can also do something incredible by deciding to leave a legacy to help us continue to care.

"Leaving a gift in your Will of even 1% to Dr Kershaw’s Hospice means your generosity will live on for generations to come, and ensures those closest to you receive the remaining 99%.

"Speak to your solicitor about leaving a gift in your Will to Dr Kershaw’s Hospice.”


Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing news@oldham-chronicle.co.uk , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.


While you are here...

...we have a small favour to ask; would you support Oldham Chronicle and join other residents making a contribution, from just £3 per month?

Oldham Chronicle offers completely independent local journalism with free access. If you enjoy the independent news and other free services we offer, please consider supporting us financially and help Oldham Chronicle to continue to provide local engaging content for years to come. Thank you.

Support Oldham Chronicle