Xuefei reigns in music of Spain
Date published: 23 January 2012
Halle Orchestra, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
THE Halle played host to one of the world’s finest classical guitarists as Beijing-born Xuefei Yang took centre stage for a performance of Rodrigo’s “Concierto de Aranjuez.”
The UK-based musician wowed the audience with her precision and feeling.
Bury-born conductor Stephen Bell led the orchestra through a strong programme of Spanish-orientated favourites, including a six-piece selection from Bizet’s Carmen and Ravel’s Bolero.
The pops concerts bring popular music to the stage in a bid to encourage more people to enjoy live classical music. The next, on Saturday, February 18, is “Movie Classics”.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham teacher banned from classrooms for at least three years
- 2Conlon Construction begins work on futuristic climbing facility in Oldham
- 3The end of an era beckons as Lol and Mag prepare to hang up their baking gloves
- 4Gang of women carry out Uppermill robbery
- 5So, what exactly are the Tier 3 restrictions?