‘Final’ chance for struggling firms as ban on winding up orders is extended

Date published: 20 June 2021


The government’s decision to extend the ban on winding-up orders will give struggling businesses a further – and possibly final – window to plan for their survival when emergency measures end, an Oldham debt expert has warned.

The announcement earlier this week is designed to protect companies with pandemic-related debts from enforcement action by creditors.

It means that restrictions on the use of statutory demands and winding up petitions will remain in place until September 30.

Allan Cadman, who is North West chair of the insolvency and restructuring trade body R3, says many companies will welcome the news, especially given the delay in easing the lockdown.

He said: “Trading conditions have improved recently, but the Prime Minister’s decision to delay the removal of the final lockdown measures underlines that we’re still in choppy economic waters.

“While the extension of these measures will benefit many companies, as time goes on the Government will need to consider the impact on creditors – who have staff and overheads to pay themselves.

"Balancing these interests is a difficult task for the Government.”

Mr Cadman, who is also a partner at insolvency firm Poppleton and Appleby, says it is vital that companies facing debt problems now need to plan for the future. 

He added: “The decision gives directors and business owners a further – and possibly final – window to plan how they will take their businesses forward when these temporary measures end. 

“We urge them to use this time to seek advice from a qualified professional – and to do so as early as possible, so they can benefit from the broadest range of options available and have a greater time period to decide how they will move forward.”


Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing news@oldham-chronicle.co.uk , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.


While you are here...

...we have a small favour to ask; would you support Oldham Chronicle and join other residents making a contribution, from just £3 per month?

Oldham Chronicle offers completely independent local journalism with free access. If you enjoy the independent news and other free services we offer, please consider supporting us financially and help Oldham Chronicle to continue to provide local engaging content for years to come. Thank you.

Support Oldham Chronicle