Blackbelt Fatiha makes Oldham history
Reporter: Simon Smedley
Date published: 21 February 2020
MARTIAL ARTS: Talented teenager Fatiha Begum made Oldham history at the weekend.
Blue Coat school pupil Fatiha, aged 13, is a star student at the popular DEMAA Martial Arts Academy based in central Oldham.
She is already a blackbelt in kickboxing and a brownbelt in muay thai, but now she has secured a prestigious blackbelt in weapons stage 6 - the first Oldhamer to achieve such an honour in its 40-year history.
Extremely proud dad Shiblu said: "Fatiha has worked and trained so very hard since taking up martial arts at DEMAA seven years ago.
"She initially took it up to help with self control and because she'd suffered some bullying at school.
"Now she competes in tournaments all over the United Kingdom."
Fatiha's grading ceremony took place at DEMAA's Bridge Street base over the weekend.
Meanwhile, Shiblu is seeking sponsorship towards the cost of travelling to various competitions and training.
If you or your company can help, please email Shiblu: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1NHS staff at the Royal Oldham Hospital hit with parking fines from private company
- 2The latest Covid infection hotspots in Oldham
- 3‘All I needed was a chance’: The former ‘speed’ addict who used lockdown to turn her life around
- 4Plans revealed for how new Oldham town centre school will look
- 5Oldham-based Romanian crime gang jailed following series of high value thefts