Athletic legend Barrett should have been given a chance
Date published: 08 May 2018
Former Athletic and England star Earl Barrett, pictured during his days at Boundary Park
Re: Oldham Athletic.
It's struggle after struggle each season.
But what do people expect from a board that consistently employs underachieving managers?
I know that a certain ex-club captain Earl Barrett has applied on numerous occasions for the manager's position, only to be told that he didn't have the experience required for the job.
This is a former player who has achieved his coaching European A Licence and also has a sports science degree.
In order to be given an opportunity that this country (who he represented at senior level) is unable to offer him for whatever reasons, he moved to the USA where he is Director of Coaching at a senior soccer academy in Houston, Texas.
It is to our football shame that Earl, and others like him, are being denied a chance to be in coaching in England.
I hope that change will come soon.
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Oldham Chronicle.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Another yellow weather warning for Oldham
- 2First week of Oldham’s newest secondary school hailed a “great success”
- 3The quirky Oldham race selling out quickly - and no-one knows why
- 4Tributes paid to PCs Nicola Hughes and Fiona Bone six years after their murders
- 5Cop killer Dale Cregan reported to be begging friends for cash behind bars