COVID-19 and the Metric menace
Date published: 16 March 2020
It is becoming increasingly obvious that the UK Government cares little for the health and welfare of its older citizens and visitors from the USA.
Its advice on safe distances from others during the current COVID-19 epidemic is quoted only in metric units which do not sit naturally with many of us.
At first reading, 2m to me is two miles which is impractical for all than the most rural dweller and, even when I get past that initial misunderstanding, I find it difficult to conceptualise what two metres actually means.
This follows on from this winter's irresponsible total abandonment of Imperial measures by BBC meteorologists even in forecasts of the most serious weather conditions!
I wonder how many deaths could be avoided if both systems of measurement were shown due respect?
John Eoin Douglas
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Oldham Chronicle.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Investigation launched after woman's body found in Bardsley
- 2GMP remove support for Failsworth Street Patrol
- 3Concerns raised over flagship Riverside shopping centre after it emerges the council is liable for...
- 4Pair arrested following woman's death
- 5Oldham's Covid infection rate falls again, but remains 44% higher than the England average.