Love for Oldham all the way from New Zealand
Date published: 04 June 2020
A scene "that a New Zealand poet would relish"
To the editor,
Last year my wife Pam and I visited her Aunt in Lees.
I am a New Zealander. This morning, on our breakfast TV, a celebrated broadcaster from England, Noel Edmonds, was extolling his love for his new home in NZ.
I reciprocate my love for Oldham. My greatgrandparents came to NZ from there.
In 1959, Pam came from Oldham to befriend & marry me. Last year, before Covid-19, we came on holiday.
The picture shows why I adore the special beauty you may not recognize as I do.
It shows my wife chatting with her Aunt at the Lees bus stop. The classic background you see, shows a scene that a NZ poet would relish.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What a special place is Oldham.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Oldham Chronicle.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1201 homes approved for green land in Oldham despite concerns over look of affordable homes
- 2Can John Sheridan turn things around at Oldham Athletic?
- 3Oldham Mountain Rescue Team involved in dramatic helicopter rescue
- 4Police 'increasingly concerned' about missing woman from Oldham
- 5Arooj Shah: Care workers deserve more than just claps"