Oldham Athletic 2 - 1 Bury

Date published: 25 October 2017

A last gasp goal, in the final minute of three minutes additional time, from Aaron Holloway gave Oldham a dramatic victory over local rivals Bury on Tuesday night.

Oldham started well but the first real chance of the game came Bury's way midway through the first half. Cameron Dummigan spotting the danger and was quick enough to get back and clear before Peter Clarke had chance to shoot.

Latics took the lead minutes later when Dan Gardner played a one-two with Jack Byrne. The ball reached Craig Davies who passed to Doyle inside the penalty area and he made no mistake firing into the bottom corner.

Oldham piled on the pressure and came close a number of times before Bury had an opportunity to level the score in the final minute of the first half; Johnny Placide saving from Chris Humphrey.

Bury equalised within minutes of the second half when Jay O'Shea crossed to an unmarked Tom Aldred, whose header went in off the post.

It was Bury's turn to tighten the screw and only staunch Oldham defending kept them at bay.

However, as the game entered the final fifteen minutes the tide began to turn Oldham's way and Davies came close twice, first with a shot that hit the side netting, then he missed by inches with a curling shot.

Oldham manager Wellens made two changes in the final five minutes in search of a winner, sending on Holloway and Paul Green.

Green went close in added time but his header flew wide before the the dramatic finale arrived.

Oldham keeper Placide made a superb save to keep Bury out and his resulting huge clearance found Holloway who raced clear and volleyed into the top corner.

Holloway's match winner takes Oldham's unbeaten run to seven games, including five wins, under Wellens and sees Latics climb to 17th in the table, above the other local rivals, Rochdale.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Clarke, Bryan, Hunt, Byrne (Green 87’), Fane, Gardner, Menig (Omrani 60’), Davies (Holloway 87’), Doyle.
Subs not used: Ruddy, Wilson, Gerrard, Flynn.

Bury: Fasan, Leigh, O’Connell, Beckford, Reilly, Edwards, Aldred, Humphrey (Dobre 55’), O’Shea, Smith (Tutte 89’), Ince (Laurent 79’).
Subs not used: Maguire, Bunn, Maloney, Shotton.

Referee: Darren Drysdale

Attendance: 5,183 (752 visiting supporters)