Athletic tight-lipped after player strike threat report
Reporter: Simon Smedley
Date published: 05 October 2018
It was reported that the players initially refused to train yesterday morning
Athletic are remaining tight-lipped this morning (Friday) after a report emerged overnight stating that the players are threatening strike action due to non-payment of wages.
It was reported that the players initially refused to train yesterday morning (Thursday) after promises to pay September wages failed to materialise.
The Chronicle have tried to obtain a comment from the Boundary Park club this morning, to no avail.
This is not the first time rumours of non-payment of wages have surfaced since Moroccan businessman Abdallah Lemsagam’s protracted takeover of the club in January.
A club insider has revealed this morning that other members of staff have received their wages late on numerous occasions this year.
That person still hasn’t received their latest wage payment, which was due on September 25, meaning it is now more than five weeks since staff at the club have been paid.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Police search for witnesses after "disturbance" on Huddersfield Road
- 2Saddleworth neighbourhoods emerge as Greater Manchester Covid hotspot as cases continue to rise...
- 3Council unveils first look at new Spindles Town Square shopping centre
- 4Watch horrifying moment driver on wrong side of the road causes head-on crash
- 5Boy sustains 'major-trauma related injuries' after being hit by a car in Royton