Beckett follows Smith through Roughyeds' door
Date published: 02 August 2019
Roughyeds head coach Scott Naylor
Oldham have followed up the signing of experienced forward Ed Smith by the capture of young prop Jimmy Beckett on loan from Featherstone Rovers to the end of the season.
The 20-year-old is in the first year of a two-year agreement with Rovers, who signed him from Castleford Tigers Academy and immediately included him in their first-team squad.
Said Roughyeds boss Scott Naylor: "Understandably, at his age and with the sort of experienced pack they've got at Rovers, he isn't getting a lot of game time.
"We can give him that game time because in our squad another front-rower will come in handy.
"Some of our lads in that department have been playing long minutes in every game, but with five key games to play and then, in all probability, more games in the play-offs, we will have more forward options with Ed Smith and Jimmy on board."
Both Smith and Beckett are in contention to make their debuts at London Skolars tomorrow (Saturday)
Said Beckett: "I need game time against experienced players and that's what I'll get at Oldham.
"There's nothing to compare with first-team football."
* NAYLOR has named both of his new signings, Smith and Beckett, in his 19 for tomorrow's (Saturday) game at London Skolars (3pm kick-off).
They replace Ben Calland and Paul Crook in the last 19-man squad for the game against North Wales Crusaders three weeks ago.
Squad for London: Harry Aaronson, Jimmy Beckett, Liam Bent, Danny Bridge, Adam Brook, Ritchie Hawkyard, Dave Hewitt, Kyran Johnson, Phil Joy, Lee Kershaw, Scott Law, Danny Langtree, Cameron Leeming, Zack McComb, Gareth Owen (capt), Ed Smith, Jack Spencer, Emmerson Whittel, Matty Wilkinson.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Three arrested after man stabbed to death in Oldham
- 2Arrests made in Oldham after series of armed robberies
- 3Stabbing victim was previously jailed for torture of 16 year-old boy.
- 4Four masked men rob garden centre and attack worker in Failsworth
- 5Rochdale's Classic Car Show returns to mark 60th anniversary of famous Rochdale Olympic Sports Car