8,000 kids living in poverty
Reporter: Iram Ramzan
Date published: 10 November 2016
A SHOCKING report shows over 8,000 children are living in poverty in Oldham East and Saddleworth.
The End Child Poverty coalition has published a "child poverty map" which reveals 8,280 children are living in poverty.
Oldham East and Saddleworth MP Debbie Abrahams said: "It's shocking that the report shows that in Oldham East and Saddleworth around one third of children are living in poverty.
"We mustn't lose sight of the fact that over half of those living in poverty are in working households. Low pay, insecure work and the lack of affordable housing are taking their toll."
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1‘If you don’t act now we are looking at a lockdown’: 11th hour warning to residents ahead of...
- 2Oldham has the highest Covid-19 infection rate in the country
- 3Man arrested following 'utterly shocking' rape of a 14-year-old girl
- 4Why increased testing doesn’t explain fears over rising cases
- 5Revealed: which areas of Oldham have the highest coronavirus cases