8,000 kids living in poverty
Reporter: Iram Ramzan
Date published: 10 November 2016
A SHOCKING report shows over 8,000 children are living in poverty in Oldham East and Saddleworth.
The End Child Poverty coalition has published a "child poverty map" which reveals 8,280 children are living in poverty.
Oldham East and Saddleworth MP Debbie Abrahams said: "It's shocking that the report shows that in Oldham East and Saddleworth around one third of children are living in poverty.
"We mustn't lose sight of the fact that over half of those living in poverty are in working households. Low pay, insecure work and the lack of affordable housing are taking their toll."
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Investigation underway after man and woman stabbed inside a property in Oldham.
- 2Oldham Athletic's kick off time on Saturday moved, due to HRH Prince Philip's funeral.
- 3Oldham child rapist sentenced to 18 years in jail after sexually abusing three young boys
- 4Council animation celebrates the re-opening of Oldham’s high streets and reminds residents to do...
- 5Roughyeds pay tribute to one of their stars of the seventies