Bottle of beer seals a wedding
Reporter: Ken Bennett
Date published: 31 August 2017
Dave Yates gets down on one knee to propose to his fiancée, Alex Tomlinson
THE legendary Rushcart Weekend took a surprise romantic turn for one member of Saddleworth Morris Men.
Because Dave Yates (42), a longtime team member, got down on one knee alongside the colourful cart and proposed to his fiancée, Alex Tomlinson (38) from Diglea.
Dave said: "I had decided to wait for the ring to be ready so I wasn't going to do it at the weekend.
"But I was persuaded to do it at Rushcart because it is perfect.
"And one of the team, Graeme Rothery, made a ring out of a rush from the Rushcart itself.
"And so I did it with a bottle of Thornbridge beer from the Albion Tap called 'I love you will you marry me.'"
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Conlon Construction begins work on futuristic climbing facility in Oldham
- 2Oldham teacher banned from classrooms for at least three years
- 3The end of an era beckons as Lol and Mag prepare to hang up their baking gloves
- 4As the darker nights draw in, GMP reminds residents to keep their homes light and locked
- 5Gang of women carry out Uppermill robbery