£10,000 of extra support
Date published: 13 November 2008
FANTASTIC . . . pictured at the cheque presentation (from the left) are Anne Sankaran (chairman) and Chris Hoyle from Oldham Cancer Support Centre, with other committee members
THE Woman of Oldham Committee has handed over a record-breaking donation of £10,000 to Oldham Cancer Support Centre in Failsworth.
Each year the committee supports local charities through fund-raising events, which this year included a market stall, wine tasting and quiz, tapas evening at the Three Crowns, Scouthead, and the prestigious annual Woman of Oldham Award luncheon which was held in September at the White Hart in Lydgate.
Chris Hoyle, the centre’s information and support manager, said, “I am delighted to receive this donation on behalf of the Oldham Cancer Support Centre. “This is absolutely fantastic and is the largest single donation that the charity has received.”
Anne Sankaran, Woman of Oldham Committee chairman, added: “I will never cease to be amazed by the generosity of local people, even in such difficult times, and I would like to thank everyone who has supported us this year.
“We are now looking for a local charity to support in 2009. Anyone wishing to be considered should contact Janet Larton, our secretary, on 0161-652 8878.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Plans for 160 homes to be decided by councillors
- 2‘All I needed was a chance’: The former ‘speed’ addict who used lockdown to turn her life around
- 3Dogs Trust’s longest term resident hopes to find love as lockdown lifts
- 4Man who fled after crashing his car into a wall is jailed
- 5NHS staff at the Royal Oldham Hospital hit with parking fines from private company