Health chief urged to come to Oldham
Date published: 05 February 2009
The man at the helm of the health service is being invited to Oldham to study how help is offered to prescription drug addicts.
Health Secretary Alan Johnson is being urged to visit the withdrawal services set up by NHS Oldham, formerly the Primary Care Trust.
The invitation is from Oldham East and Saddleworth MP Phil Woolas and follows the report of the All Party Parliamentary Drugs Misuse Group.
It highlighted the continuing need to raise awareness among GPs of prescription guidelines and monitor over-prescription of drugs such as benzodiazepines.
Mr Woolas said: “I believe it is imperative that the Government has a comprehensive policy in the area of addiction to prescription and over-the-counter drugs and offer my help in developing a policy for both the Government and our party.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Free skips rolled out across Middleton estate in bid to cut down on fly-tipping
- 2Angry residents seek action on late night fireworks and anti-social behaviour
- 3Popular brewery to open tap room in new premises
- 4Oldham MP salutes 'good news' as Latics reveal agreement which means re-opening of North Stand
- 5Developer reveals plans for hundreds of homes on controversial greenfield site