Health chief urged to come to Oldham
Date published: 05 February 2009
The man at the helm of the health service is being invited to Oldham to study how help is offered to prescription drug addicts.
Health Secretary Alan Johnson is being urged to visit the withdrawal services set up by NHS Oldham, formerly the Primary Care Trust.
The invitation is from Oldham East and Saddleworth MP Phil Woolas and follows the report of the All Party Parliamentary Drugs Misuse Group.
It highlighted the continuing need to raise awareness among GPs of prescription guidelines and monitor over-prescription of drugs such as benzodiazepines.
Mr Woolas said: “I believe it is imperative that the Government has a comprehensive policy in the area of addiction to prescription and over-the-counter drugs and offer my help in developing a policy for both the Government and our party.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham legend Clint to step back from radio career after almost three decades
- 2Pedestrian suffers 'serious' injuries after being struck by tram in Oldham town centre
- 3Help for Failsworth families thanks to the Salvation Army Christmas Present Appeal
- 4Pair arrested after vehicle theft incident
- 5Cold and frosty for the foreseeable future